Thursday, September 07, 2006

On the bus to Daegu



I am currently on a bus from Seoul to Daegu. I arrived back in Korea last night at about 8pm local time. Was the plane ride long? Yeah, pretty long. I took a flight with a couple of stops in order to save about $700. Nice on the wallet, hard on the body!



Really, when all is said and done, it’s not too bad. There was nothing too eventful on the flight itself. I flew on United, and all was decent.

So, I arrived at Incheon airport and the immigration process was simple. It was one of the quickest I’ve had in a while. Since my old passport had expired, this is the first stamp in my new one. I’m looking forward to adding more soon.

My wife So Young was at the airport to meet me. It’s been a while since we’ve seen each other, and it was our anniversary, so it was a very happy moment.


We hopped on a bus to head into Seoul. Our plan was to go out for a late dinner at one of our favorite Kalbi (BBQ beef) restaurants. So, we grabbed a hotel and then hopped in a cab and headed off to the Kangnam area.

I was somewhat overwhelmed by all the sights, sounds, and smells. It was all coming back to me. After not being here for 2 years, I forgot a lot of what it is like to really be living here. It’s hard to explain how exciting it is to be here again.

We enjoyed a great meal and then I insisted we go to the “Buy the Way” convenience store so I could have an after-dinner Goo-Goo ice cream. Goo-Goo is still as good as it used to be, even if I was spoiled with Dairy Queen for the past 2 years.

From there, we headed to meet a couple of So Young’s friends for a drink. It was all rushing back to me. Even taking taxis was fun as always. I got my first “han-kuk mal chal ha she nay yo” (wow, you speak Korean well) within about the first hour of being back, so I guess I haven’t lost it all that much!


My wife has ensured that my arrival was very exciting by providing me with some nice gifts. One I was expecting, one I wasn’t. The expected anniversary present was an MP3 player (Samsung of course), and she went beyond the call of duty and already has me set up with a cell phone. She knows my style, and she got me a sleek, black phone. It’s a camera phone, so I’ve already been taking pictures with it, and hopefully if the quality is good enough, you will be seeing a lot of my phone pics here since it will be very convenient to snap on the go.


Today, we headed off to the bus terminal to grab a bus to Daegu (where we live). Before, we stopped at a restaurant we used to eat at very often. One of the schools I worked for was right across from the Ko-Sok Bus Terminal, so I was a regular in the area.

I enjoyed my classic choice of Jae Yook Dup-Bap, which is spicy pork with rice. Yummy as always. From there, it was on the bus.

So, now I’m charging my MP3, typing out my blog, and loving the scenery as I drive down the Korean highways. I just snapped a picture that I hope turns out.

Anyhow, I’m very happy to be back and I look forward to keeping this blog up to date with what this trip leads to. The battery on my laptop is giving way, so I will see you in Daegu!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment