Friday, August 11, 2006

A Journal Entry from Bangkok

When I was in Bangkok, I visited a temple and felt like writing about what was happening at the moment. I just came across this entry and decided to type it out here for you to enjoy. Here it is:

I am now sitting on top of a Buddhist temple in the middle of Bangkok. It is very quiet here. I can still hear the sounds of traffic but there are no other people around. The weather is hot, but I am in the shade and there is a strong breeze which is very refreshing.



If I look to my right, I see the roof of another temple with its green, gold, and rust colored roof. Poking up behind that is the tip of a palace, the Golden Palace I believe it's called.

I will go there next. Far off in the distance stands the tower of the hotel I visited yesterday. At 88 stories high, it is the second highest building I've been to the top of next to the World Trade Center.

Old contrasting with new.

I enjoy the old, but I am much more impressed with the new. To be up there yesterday was really breathtaking for lack of a better word.

I was amazed that people could even conceive of the idea to build something so immense. Of course, I'm not just talking about this tower, but of the others as well. It seems almost impossible to do and it is impossible for most.

However, there are a select few who are intelligent and daring enough to come up with and build such beauty.

Two monks dressed in golden robes just passed by me as I write. I wonder if they are happy.



No possessions, no goal other than to reach enlightenment by avoiding reality. Since I am rambling, I may as well ramble on about my general impressions on Thailand so far.

First of all, I don't consider this my trip to Thailand, but my trip to Bangkok. I do believe the two to be very different.

In passing, I must thank the monks for keeping the floors so clean. Sitting down is of no concern.

In thinking of ways to describe Bangkok, I often thought of it as a combination of Bali and Hong Kong based on my experience there.

It has the same general feel of having to be careful about being ripped off as Bali, and a bit of the look of Hong Kong.

Of course, it is very unique and not at all a replica of these places, but it does have reminders.

As in Bali, drivers are everywhere and more than willing to give you a lift. The tuk-tuk, a three-wheeled motorcycle with a seat at the back, is a popular form of transport.



I learned very quickly the scheme involved here. They bring you shopping for suits or jewelry along the way to your destination and they receive free gas coupons, or "coupong" as they pronounce it, from the shop owners.

I could have gotten myself a great deal on a suit tailor-made for me, and earrings and a necklace for my girlfriend or mother. No thanks.

I ended up with a free ride to my destination due to my willingness to stop at a few places along the way and pretend to shop.

I even went so far as to choose the fabric and style of my next suit, which I did not end up buying.

I had a great conversation with a 12 year old boy about things such as import-export, World Cup soccer, and being careful about "lady-boys."

It blew me away what a kid his age knew and how he expressed himself in English.

Traveling alone has both advantages and disadvantages. I am free to go where I want when I want and am forced to be independent as well as having lots of time to think.

There are, however, many times that it would be nice to have one of the handful of people whom I would want to share this with be here.

I have done a lot of walking and my head is always going from left to right, up and down, trying to take in as much as I can. I like big cities and all of their stimulus. I like to see things happen.



There are certainly things happening here. I do not believe I would want to live here, however. A touch too under-developed and dirty for my liking.

Coming to places like this makes me realize how far South Korea has come. They are in a region where not too many countries are very far ahead. I won't even begin to compare Canada.

It is approaching 2 o'clock. I will leave for the airport at 9 o'clock. I still have lots to see and a lot of walking to do.

So, that is what I will do.

Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment