Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Observation on Koreans' desire to help friends

One of our clients, Lei, has made a great observation about Korean culture. She is currently preparing to come teach in Korea. She is still in Australia, but has been making friends with several Korean people there and helping them develop their English, as well as just meeting with them socially.

She had this to say about what she discovered:

"I am really overwhelmed by the love, care and support I have received
from my Korean friends. They are all very proud, excited and overjoyed that I want
to be an ESL teacher in Korea. All of them have offered to take care of me and
provide me with whatever support I need when I am there.

I must admit that I do have some pride in me as I have always been a very independent woman and like to do everything myself.

I am now beginning to understand a very important aspect of the Korean culture and that is I must allow them to love and care for me without reservation or else I will be hurting their feelings. This is something I must keep working within myself so that I will be able to adapt and enjoy my time in Korea."

Very well-said!

She has made more of a discovery about Korean culture and how it applies to her than many people do after spending a year in Korea. You just have to be open to learning and understanding the people you are surrounding yourself with.

If you can't do that, then why even come to Korea, right?

The main downfall to all of this is that you will be over-fed and everyone will always want to make sure you are not going hungry. Not great for dieters!

Thanks for the insight Lei

Jason Cresswell

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment