Friday, May 11, 2007

1 Week in the Classroom

Well,

I received a call from a friend the other week in regards to helping out with a 1 week teaching gig for someone who was going on vacation.

I decided that it would be fun to get back in the classroom myself since it was only a couple of hours per day that they needed someone. It had been since 2004 since I'd been in the classroom in Korea.

So, it was with much anticipation that I headed off to my "new job"! As always, it was fun to meet the people working at the school and to see what kind of dynamics they have there. I met a few people who were great to work with, and I think that working at this school would be a good gig for someone if a position comes up.

They usually do their own hiring, but if they aren't able to find someone, I'm sure they'll get in touch with us. It would be fun to recommend a job to someone where I've already taken it for a test drive!

Anyhow, it's Friday afternoon and I must say that I didn't forget all my old moves! I'm pretty sure that I've been a productive teacher and that the students were able to learn a few things during my short stay.

Things are very much the same as they were before. There are the keen students, and the not so keen. There are the well-behaved students, and the not so well-behaved.

But, I still stand behind my motto of consistency in discipline. The kids just want a system that allows them to be well-behaved without looking "uncool" to their friends. So, eliminate Korean in the class, provide a consistent set of expectations, and classroom management is much, much simpler.

Although I'm not signing up for a full-time job because of obvious reasons, I still do enjoy the fun of interacting with the kids.

How about you?

Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment