Sunday, November 23, 2008

An Update from Melissa on the East Coast

Here is an update that Melissa S., one of our clients living on the East Coast of Korea was nice enough to share with us.
 
 
 
I teach a total of thirty-two children within six hours a day. Each class last about fifty minutes and they're mostly filled with me saying "English!" in "English please!" I try to explain again and again to the Amy's and Martin's that yes, they can talk about Star Crafte and Transformers... just in English please. Lindsey says the mixture of Korean speaking with English words drives her nuts. She says she hates that Korean businesses think it's fancy to throw in an English word here and there. It's confusing and stupid and makes no sense she continues. I'd agree with her if I understood a whiff of Korean, but since I don't, the fact that "Fryed Chichen" is very popular here has saved me twice from breaking down and ordering the live squid next door.

All day Thursday it rained and I loved it! The smell of the wet pine trees was a treat. The air was cold and crisp. And there was just enough traffic to make that "swoosh" noise I love when a car drives by.

Friday morning I finally saw the owner of the garden out front of my apartment. Crouched down between the squash and collards, a cigaret dangling from between his teeth, the old man evaluated the rains work. I paused as I passed by on my way to work. I wanted to say hi. Chat him up about his garden. He looked completely disinterested in me, even a little suspicious. Maybe he could tell I also want to get to know those lovely sweet potatoes of his and whatever those reddish, fire pink flowers are that grow near the curb.

Saturday morning was cold with strong wind. The beach is a ten minute walk from my apartment and with the moutains all around, I think I'm in for a serious winter. I threw on a pair of sweats, sneakers, a hoody and headed out for a brisk walk to the Paris Bakery. It's a perfect example of what Lindsey hates: A straight up Korean business with an English sign. God bless'em. I discovered Korean pastries in K-Town years ago and though I'm not really one for breads, I love theirs. The white bread especially is so damned good. I could eat a loaf alone in one sitting. The three pastries I ate this morning were of course only in preparation for my five hour round-trip hike up Sorak mountain later.

Sorak Mountain is in Sokcho Si (Sock - Shoe City). It is said to be the most beautiful mountain in Korea because of the striking balance between rock and trees and for the Buddhist temple (built in 647) that is nestled within the high valley. And beautiful it was. Because the last of the trees are turning, seemed every family within drivng distance decided to hike it this weekend. It was packed! Tour buses every five minutes ferried hikers up and down the mountain. Those of us who decided to walk literally had to jump to the side of the road so as to not get run off it into the river below. But nothing could take attention away from the sheer beauty, color and texture of the land. So many purples and oranges and deep, deep crimsons. The river bed was stunning. It rushed the burnished leaves down the mountain in a clear stream dressed in white striped gray and blue stones.

Once at the top we stopped for Ramen noodles, bread and coffee. I'm still in awe of the lines of people I saw at the temples. This hike is no joke with or with out the bus. The lines could've been from Disneyland. Young and old. People of all sizes and shapes out enjoying nature as if it were the Matahorn. I was impressed to say the least and surprised at how indignant I felt at first. As if nature must be silently revered in order to be appreciated. Folks were out celebrating it! Other than the costant stream of people quietly walking to and fro, there was no litter, no graffitti, none of the usual markings that say people have passed this way. I got a lesson today in appreciation and enjoyment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment