Monday, December 08, 2008

Christmas in Korea...Coping Strategies

Well, if we were back home right now, it would certainly feel a lot different than it does here in Korea.  Back in Sudbury Ontario, I'm sure that it feels like Christmas is just around the corner, especially with all of the snow in the pictures that Stacey sent me.
 
But, here in Korea, it is difficult to imagine that Christmas is coming. Sure, there are some lights and decorations here and there, but nothing like the atmosphere back home. 
 
Am I alone in missing being back home for the holiday season?  Far from it I'm sure.  Every year at this time, applications to come teach here drop. Everyone wants to wait until after Christmas and come to Korea in January.  Why? To spend Christmas at home with their family of course! 
 
So, for those of us still here, it is easy to imagine that many people will be feeling more homesick than ever.  This year, we will be staying in Korea as well. It's been several years since I've missed a Christmas at home, so I'm feeling it too.  So, I've decided to come up with a list of things to do to help cope and bring the holiday spirit about.
 
In no particular order of importance...
 
1. Get a tree and decorate it!  Go ahead and download some Christmas music, then head over to your closest E-Mart, Costco, or other favorite store and pick up a tree and some decorations. We picked up a 150cm tree for 29,000 won at E-Mart on Sunday. Sure, it doesn't compare to the 7ft tall, 7ft in diameter giant real trees we get back home, but once you get decorating and turn off the lights and see the bulbs dancing, a little tree is almost just as good. Plus, no family arguments about how to stand it up, where to put it, which side is best etc...
 
2. Come to our Christmas Party. If you haven't signed up yet, do.  We are having a full on turkey dinner with all the fixins'.  Home is where the food is. So, since you can't take yourself home, we are taking the food to you.  www.asknow.ca/events.aspx to join.
 
3. Find some snow.  This perhaps makes more sense to northerners like myself, but I'm sure even those who spent most of their lives down south will agree that being in a snowy environment makes the mood much more festive. In our case, we plan to head to a ski resort for Christmas.  I always feel like I've gone to a different world when I go to a resort in Korea.  If that's not your style, track down and rent a cabin ("pension") in the woods in a place like Gangwon-do (province on the east coast).  Get a group of people together and head out for a gift exchange weekend.  Have a pot-luck dinner.
 
4. Write and Wrap.  One of my favorite things to do near Christmas is wrap presents.  Nothing says Christmas like the smell of Scotch tape and wrapping paper. Sure, I make a mess of it and my wrapping skills haven't improved since I was 8 years old, but I love sitting in my room, listeing to Christmas tunes and getting those gifts wrapped.  Many people also enjoy writing Christmas Cards.  Screw e-mail, go to the local book store or stationary store and buy a pile of cards. It's so cheap to mail stuff home...get those addresses and send the people who are important to you a Christmas card.
 
5. Make Eggnog.  Sure, not everyone likes eggnog (unbelievable!) In fact, I didn't enjoy eggnog until a few years ago. But now, it is one of the things I look forward to most each holiday season.  But, good luck finding it in Korea!  Surprisingly, it is not so difficult to make.  Brant found some recipes and made a batch that was superb.  We first found out from Chef Meili that home-made eggnog can be great.  I was used to supermarket nog, but when I tasted Chef Meili's nog with a hard hit of alcohol, I was hooked, as was Brant. So, off we went in search of a recipe.  Be creative like we were and throw in some extra Bailey's and Kahlua.  Or, go for alcohol-free batches for your morning drink.  Here is a collection of recipes:
 
 
I hope that helps give you some ideas of how to enjoy your Christmas in Korea.  Please feel free to share your plans for Christmas and help others who might be feeling the holiday blues.  Don't worry, there are plenty of Christmases to come!
 
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment