Tuesday, November 25, 2008

If They are Happy with their Job, Why Not You?

On nights when I run home from the gym at about 10pm, I often see something that makes me think.
 
One of the ways I take to get home from the gym includes a run past a few small factories.  If I happen to pass by at around 10pm, I always see a group of ladies leaving work and heading home either on foot or on their bikes, often two to a bike.  They are mainly Philippino, Chinese, or other South-East Asian women speaking Korean to each other. 
 
The thing that strikes me is that they are always laughing, smiling, and seemingly having a great time.  No, it doesn't seem like that "I just got off of work, so I'm happy" type of happy. It seems more like they just enjoy working together and are happy with their situation in life.  The thing that is strange is that I'm sure they have put in at least a 12-hour work shift at the factory, and I'm sure that they do so at least 6 days a week, and I'm sure they get paid close to half of what most English teachers are getting paid in Korea.
 
My theory is that they have come from a situation that is so much more difficult, that having this type of opportunity is a real upgrade for them and something many people back home could only dream of doing.  On the other hand, a lot of us Westerners who come to Korea seem to perceive it as a downgrade and have a difficult time finding job satisfaction.  Could it be possible that a change in attitude would fix this?
 
The factory workers are looking at the positives of the job. Sure, they work long hours, they don't get paid that much, they have difficult jobs, their bosses may take advantage of them etc...but, I think instead of focusing on that, they focus on the fact that they are making enough money to survive and send some money to family back home, they are in a safe country, and they can improve their status here the more they learn and the harder they work.
 
What if more English teachers decided to look at the pros of their job as opposed to the cons? Yes, schools call last-minute meetings, change the schedule, give evaluations to do and don't always listen to the suggestions of teachers. But, instead of focusing on that, try focusing on the positive aspects and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how good you feel at the end of the day.
 
Here is a challenge: Try going 3 days without uttering a single complaint.  Even if there is something legitimate to complain about, don't say it. Also, don't even think about the complaint.  Frame it in a different way.  If you can do this for 3 days in a row, you will be among a very small, small percentage of people. 
 
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment