Friday, May 11, 2007

Dentist takes foreigners hard-earned cash

Here is a story from Matthew about his recent trip to the dentist...a bit of a difference!

Last week, I had a toothache. It was kind of ticklish and throbbing, but utterly irritating, and I couldn't even sleep for most of the night. In the morning, playing soccer with the “ajoshis” at my university, and then all morning in class, it was all I could think about. I had thought that I might not get to see a dentist until after the weekend, and I’d have to deal with it, but it became unbearable, and I had to see someone that day. I went to Mr. Kim in my office to ask him where a dentist's office was, and what I might have to do to get an appointment. His directions surprised me in their simplicity.

Friday afternoon, I walked into "Happiness Dental Clinic" off the street, a guy they'd never seen, no appointment, and without an insurance card (even though I do have insurance). They said, "Come on in" (well, in Korean) and sat me down. And if you wonder at the facilities, let me tell you that they were as clean and modern as anything I'd seen. They had a computer at every chair, right in front of my face, with a number of dental programs up and running.

The girl had a look, poked around, and took me in for a couple of x-rays. Then came the dentist, and with both broken English and broken Korean (and a good nature), we discussed my problem, and he began to check me out. I could see the inside of my own mouth on the camera on the computer screen, and they also brought my x-rays up there for me to see while he explained. After determining that swollen gums were causing the pain, he scraped around my mouth for a bit, gave me a prescription, and told me to come back Monday if it still hurt, or Friday if it didn't. I went back in Friday. It was fine before I walked out of the office. Total cost: 6300 won, or about 8 bucks. Ha!

So, I then went across to the pharmacy after, showed the pharmacist my paper, she gave me the pills (3 a day for two days). Total cost: 1500 won, or less than 2 bucks.

In all, about 25 minutes after walking in unannounced off the street, and not bothering with discussing insurance (Mr. Kim had given me an indication beforehand as to how much it might cost), I had been in to see the dentist, x-rayed, worked on, a whole all-consuming discomfort relieved, in and out of the pharmacy with a small bag of drugs, and all for ten dollars! Are you kidding?

What kind of appointment-making and waiting would I have to do in Canada to see a dentist? And how about the cost? Yep, some things don't have to be so complicated.

Get dental work in Korea!

2 Comments:

At 8:05 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Where is this dentist? I have a dental situation of my own and my insurance won't cover it.

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Access South Korea Now said...

Hi Jen,

This dentist is in a smaller city outside of Seoul, right near NamSeoul University.

However, the same type of thing should apply to dentists all over Korea...you should try to get some info from someone close to your area.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

2 Comments:

Where is this dentist? I have a dental situation of my own and my insurance won't cover it.

By Blogger Jen, at 8:05 AM  

Hi Jen,

This dentist is in a smaller city outside of Seoul, right near NamSeoul University.

However, the same type of thing should apply to dentists all over Korea...you should try to get some info from someone close to your area.

By Blogger Access South Korea Now, at 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment